Running

Running

Monday 5 November 2018

10 Runs That Made Me #5: Mortimer 10k Sept 2010

Mortimer 10k was the run I set myself as a goal on my comeback to running. As a lonely long distance runner (long distance = 5k and above according to IAAF) I thought that I needed a target to aim for. Back then that was true, but now I could kid myself and say that I don't need a target to get out for a run, just a bit of time available for a club run, an event or a bimble in the woods. I say "kid" myself, as I have set myself a goal to get to 100 marathons, so that is always there in the background, but as I get nearer to it, that goal seems less important than having good experiences along the way. I have been booking races because they are great fun in beautiful locations or have an occasion linked to them.  For that reason I have races booked well in to next year and only aim to do my 100th marathon sometime in 2020, possibly at the Farnham Pilgrim - no rush then. 

Back in 2009 I had an objective of getting fitter, doing couch to 5k, then booked a 5k event and didn't book anything more and running fell by the wayside. 2010 I decided another event would be good to motivate me and thought about 3 months training might be a good idea. That decision led to going to Reading and then Frimley parkruns as a way of running in events and possibly meeting some people who I could run with. 

I'm not clear about how the training went. I think it just consisted of gradually increasing the mileage a bit, but I don't think I ever got to 10k. I new nothing of the course and had only driven through the small town a few times. The start finish is in a completely flat grassy park. They had a load of stalls set up, fairground rides and a classic car show going on there as well, so lots to do for the family who came along to cheer me on. They even had a kids race, about 2k on the roads around the park, which I did with the kids as a warm up. 

The route is a rough figure 8, firstly out and round the back of the park, then out to the north, back into the town and past the park again at about 4k - all relatively flat. Then it gets interesting as the next 2k are all downhill out of the town to the south, before turning north and hitting a long, long hill. I had to walk a bit, several times, got passed by a much older man who called out "Come on young man, you can't get beaten by me!" I gave him a cheery "Piss off ya bastard!" and struggled on up the hill with a couple of "God, really!" and "Not again!" exclamations at false flats in the hill. 

The last 2k is back in the town on level ground. There were people on the streets and marshals cheering us on, so I had to run the whole way back to the park and the finish. 

Bloody hell that was hard. I got a medal, yay! Time 56:30. I don't think I was that impressed with that at the time, but for a first 10k that was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment