Running

Running

Friday 18 May 2018

Punchbowl Recap - Wardrobe Malfunction!

I saw an article on the BBC News website Link (roll over me to see where I go) and had a bit of a moment. Whether that's a eureka moment or just a forehead slapping "D'oh!" moment I'll leave you to decide.

At the Punchbowl Marathon you navigate round the course following written route descriptions. Sometimes you'll get something like "Ahd to 5-way Xing and TR 50deg" meaning you go ahead to a point where the is a 5 way crossing and then turn right heading on a bearing of 50 degrees from North.

Most of the time it's obvious which way to go, but sometimes the compass bearing is useful to check against, so I have a little clip on compass I got from Decathlon for £3. Does the job. Only this time it didn't and it was obvious the bearing it was showing was wrong. Then I thought, maybe my gloves have something to do with this? 

I was wearing gloves I got from Decathlon (again) which were fingerless with a flip over mitten to cover your fingers. The flip over bit could be held back in place with a magnetic fastening. Great gloves, really nice and warm and easy to use, but I think this magnet is what messed up my compass. 

Surely this is a massive error from Decathlon, selling clothing in the trekking section that could actually get you lost!?

No comments:

Post a Comment